Friday, June 13, 2008

Perspectives

This week in my life has been stressful to say the least. We've all heard the saying, "When it rains, it pours." Well, "raindrops keep falling on my head." We found out from Daniel’s school this week that his graduation date may end up being pushed back because of their mistakes. So frustrating that they can just shrug their shoulders and say, ‘oops’ while we have to pick up the pieces, fork over the money, and rearrange our lives. Between school, family, and financial issues, it’s been a trying week.

Last night on the way home, God reminded me of this song though. It’s playing in the background now if you have your sound up. It’s call “Perspectives” and it’s by one of my favorite bands,
Kutless. I’ve posted the lyrics for you to read if you’d like. It makes you think.

Sometimes, life gets really crazy and it feels like everything’s falling apart. We’ve all had those days where nothing goes right and everything is working against you. Some of us have those kinds of weeks like I’ve had. It’s hard to stay focused. It’s hard to remember that “this too shall pass.” This song has always reminded me that someone is always worse off. That really and truly, at the worst I’ve ever been, my life is still peachy keen in comparison.

Now, I’m not saying all this to say that we aren’t allowed to have sorrows. I’m not saying shame on you for feeling hurt or depressed or angry. All of this is natural and to a degree, healthy. What I am saying is in my own life, I need reminders to be thankful for what I have. I have a God that loves me and is with me always. I have a husband and family that love and supports me and will never leave my side. I have a roof over my head, food in my stomach, gas in my car. I have a great job that I enjoy. Friends that are awesome. I’ve had a crappy week but I have so much to be thankful for.

So, as I listen to this song, I try to change my perspective. Sometimes it’s a lot easier to remember all the bad things and dwell on them, but what if we aim higher? Try to do the more difficult thing and look for the good in everything? Daniel’s school situation is very frustrating especially considering how many aspects of our life are dependent on it. However, as frustrating as it is, there’s the hope of another degree at the end. Through these rough times, God’s giving us a chance to grow. Each of these hard times are water droplets on the flower of life. Without them, we’d wither away and never bloom.

I can’t say that I’m singing in the rain yet but I do know that I’m not standing here alone. For that, I will be eternally grateful!

“Life isn’t about waiting for the storms to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain.”

Perspectives
By Kutless

It feels like your life's crashing
Down all around you
Let me ask if it's really so bad
Look at the world in it's suffering
Can you honestly tell me
That no one else could understand
All of the hurting inside?

Chorus:
Why can't you see that freedom
Is sometimes simply another perspective away?
Who could you be if your lens was changed for a moment?
Would you still be the same?

A young child looks through a great stained-glass window
Watching the people go by
Everyone seems to be wearing a red coat
His mother sees jackets in white
Now he can't understand why does she see it this way

Yesterday, you really couldn't see
By changing your angle a new world would be
Revealed to your once-blinded eyes by moving a few degrees

No comments: