Friday, July 25, 2008

Call the Fire Department!

Okay... so that may be a little premature. But keep your phones ready... If I start sending up smoke signals, please! Send help!

Okay, now that the hysterics are out of the way, on with the purpose! As I mentioned before, we are overhauling our finances among other things. One of the easiest ways to save money is to eat at home. Sounds like a brilliant plan! However, there's a reason we eat out, aside from the convenience of it. I don't cook. It's not that I just simply cannot do it, it's more of something I haven't done much of so I'm not very comfortable. The way I explained it to a friend... flour to me means cookies or a cake. She went on to embarrass me and gave me this big list of things that you can use flour for that isn't dessert. Watch as I hang my head in shame.

So here's the deal. I am going to cook. Gasp! Yes, Moma, I know... you really don't have to tell me. Here's the problem, er, that's plural. I'm inexperienced. I have a fairly decent knowledge of the kitchen and that things that are possible there, but not a very broad experience. Another pothole? I'm a picky eater. My husband, well, he's not. I'm working on it, Keri. Be patient.

I need your help. I need recipes. Let me clarify. Fool-proof recipes. Idiot-proof. Okay, sorry, I'll give myself a little credit. I can make some mean piggies-in-the-blanket! But somehow, I think we need more than my repertoire currently has. Can you help me out? You guys are the greatest!

If you have a favorite that you want to pass on, you can leave it in the comments. Or, email it to me at viewfromthefishbowl@gmail.com . Thanks ahead of time!

1 comment:

Ariel said...

I know its kinda cliche, but I happen to LOVE Rachal Rays 30 minute meals- You can buy a book and not have to watch her if she annoys you.
I don't really mind her.
But SERIOUSLY. Short and sweet until you get more comfortable cooking. Her shortcuts are something I've learned over time- (I've been doing this for close to 20 years!)