Monday, September 8, 2008

The post in which I speak my mind...

I want to preface this post by saying that I have thought long and hard about writing it. Politics are a very touchy subject and can cause some very harsh results. I am speaking my mind today as I hope you will feel free to do as well. I will not be bashing either candidate or their running mate. I am not out to start a fight. I am not out to change your mind nor do I wish for you to try to change mine. I am simply stating my opinion. Please listen, or at the very least, simply ignore this post. I will not debate. I will not encourage debating either. The comments on this blog are moderated so if I feel attacked, I will not post your comment. However, please feel free to comment regardless of your political opinion. I will listen. All I ask is that you keep them polite and refrain from bashing either party. With that said, if you're still here, please continue.
I was raised a Republican. My mom and my dad are Republicans and as the stories hold true, as their daughter, in my first election, I voted Republican. Now, I can't say for sure if that vote was because of their influence growing up or because of my own political beliefs at the ripe 'old' age of 18. I am proud to say that I have not missed an election since I was 18. Voting is an important part of our country's government. As I have told my husband many times, I cannot expect him to just know what I'm thinking and what I want, I must voice my opinion. The same is true with elections. The government will not know what you want unless you voice your opinion. The number one way of doing this is to vote.
I have learned from my parents the importance of voting and the importance of doing my part for my country. While my parents may be Republicans, I am not a Republican based on this fact. I will be 23 for this year's election. I have my own thoughts and my own opinions about the candidates. I have my own beliefs about who is better suited to run this great country. And I will most certainly be out at the polls on November 4th inserting my right to have some control over who becomes the next President.
I do want to say that I do not base my decision entirely on party affiliation. If the Democratic candidate were a better choice than the Repulican candidate, I would have no problem voting for them. However, because of my beliefs on several hot-button issues, I have yet to see that happen. My wish is to see the best leader possible seated in the Oval Office running this country. In my opinion, for this campaign, it is Senator John McCain and his running mate, Governor Sarah Palin.
I will vote for this duo on Nov. 4th. Not simply because they are the Repulican's choice but because they believe in the things that I believe. They support what I support. They are my opinion on who would be best suited for our country. We stand together on issues such as abortion, taxes, the war, and education. I support McCain and feel honored by his service in our military. I feel that he, along with Governor Palin, can lead our country in the direction it needs for the future.
The reasons that I don't support Senator Obama would be the opposite. I do not feel that my best interests are the driving force of his campaign. He has different beliefs than I do regarding what is best for this country. While I do not support Senator Obama, I can appreciate the "glass ceiling" (to steal a hot campaign quote) that he is trying to break. My dislike for Senator Obama has nothing to do with his race but simply his politics. I could continue with several distasteful facts regarding the way he runs his campaign and what he stands for but I will leave it simply at not agreeing with him. I'm sure his supporters would love a chance to share 'distasteful facts' about Senator McCain.
Regardless of where you stand politically, it is our duty as Americans to go out and vote on November 4th. If you vote for Obama, at least you voted. If you vote for McCain, at least you voted. Too many people sit idle but want to complain that things aren't going the way that they want them to go. No more, people. Let's get out there and make something happen. Regardless of how you feel about the current President and his Presidency... regardless of his choices, or those of the current Congress, it is our turn to make our opinions known. It's our turn to step up to the plate and do our part. Proper communication is key in any relationship. Without it, the relationships fail. Make your voice heard on November 4th. Please go vote.
**I have removed the comment about Senator Obama not saluting the flag. Apparently, I was misinformed and I do apologize for presenting it as truth.

4 comments:

Joanna said...

"I would prefer my President to be willing to salute the flag and recite the Pledge. "

Along with forwarded emails that claim "Microsoft will send you money!" or "your crush will ask you out in the next 4 days!!!", these claims being circulated in email forwards are false. See a Snopes refutation and another, longer one.

Seriously, I believe about 0% of things forwarded to me via email. Just wanted to clear that up- it's fine to have differing political views than a candidate, but it's also important to make sure we don't spread lies about those we disagree with, and instead pursue Truth.

Joanna said...

To add, I do appreciate the sentiment of your post- we need to be involved, we need to be informed, and we need to vote as responsible citizens- and I would argue, as loving neighbors to our fellow Americans. If everyone makes their voice heard in a thoughtful and informed way, the country will (theoretically) head in a better direction.

Ariel said...

I stand corrected. Apparently, Senator Obama does occasionally salute the flag. It was never my intent to present anything but the truth. For that, I apologize.

aclaypot4him said...

Good girl...I was going to send you this article http://blog.washingtonpost.com/fact-checker/2007/11/obama_nabbed_by_the_patriotic.html so you could read it but joanna beat me to it...:O)
I love to hear you thinking through things and creating your own opinions. I would have never posted anything like it...you must be very brave or you are ready for a new "do" :O)
http://aclaypot4him.blogspot.com/2008/09/should-you-at-any-point.html